MSR Fix for Scene and CAA Cards (sometime GC on Elite POS)
Update as of Jan 2023: CAA issued a new type of CAA card and some HP RP7800(Win7) POS also seems to be experiencing issue reading that new type of card, this fix will also rectify that issue
When swiping GC, Scene or CAA card on the ElitePOS, Micros returns a ‘/’ on the card info line instead of the card number.
When Swiping a newly issued CAA card(see below) on a RP7800, Micros does not recognize the card, but Givex and Scene works fine.
Using Notepad to see card info retrieved on swipe, both CAA and Scene cards have data embedded on Tracks 1 and Track 2. Testing reveals that Track 1 contains customer info (name etc.) and Track 2 contains the actual card number.
The MSR by default is configured to read all tracks. Because of this, since track 1 is not a numeric value, Micros doesn’t recognize the data and errors.
Although the error only flashes and is never visible to user, I have found that the error thrown is ‘Invalid Magnetic Swipe’.
The MSR default setting is actually set in the firmware of the MSR and is not configured in the OS or in Micros.
The MSR Configuration Utility can reconfigure the MSR to only read Track 2 data.
See Zendesk problem ticket number 279237.
- The MSR Configuration Utility is stored in
- C:\_Apps\HP MSR app\ on the server
- If it is not on the Server, then get from \\cadfs\Software\RestaurantsISO\SDMasterRepository\Applications\
- Log into the POS workstation as local Administrator.
- Close OPS.
- Copy the HP MSR app folder to C:\POS_Utilty folder of the POS workstation.
- On the POS workstation, Navigate to C:\POS_Utilty\HP MSR app folder.
- Run sp98970.exe. Accept the UAC prompt and then click Next.
- Accept the License Agreement and click Next.
- Click Next to save to default location.
- The HP MagSwipe Configuration Utility will open.
- Click the Change Basic Reader Settings button.
- Select the Track Settings tab.
- Under the label Track Select enable the radio button for Track2 Only. (MAKE SURE YOU DO NEXT STEP, don't just hit exit)
- Click the Send to MSR button. Wait til you get a Message box indicating successful transmission to MSR popping up. then Click OK
- Click Close button and then Exit button. Reboot.
- Utility can be launched anytime from C:\SWSetup\SP98970\MagSwipeCfgUtil.exe.
NOTE: There are a few early release of the Win10 Elite POS which has a physical issue with the MSR card reader where it won't be able to read the track used by CAA/Scene/Givex card
Please sign in to leave a comment.