ElitePOS MSR Fix for Scene and CAA Cards
When swiping Scene or CAA card on the ElitePOS, Micros returns a ‘/’ on the card info line instead of the card number.
Using Notepad to see card info retrieved on swipe, both CAA and Scene cards have data embedded on Tracks 1 and Track 2. Testing reveals that Track 1 contains customer info (name etc.) and Track 2 contains the actual card number.
The MSR by default is configured to read all tracks. Because of this, since track 1 is not a numeric value, Micros doesn’t recognize the data and errors.
Although the error only flashes and is never visible to user, I have found that the error thrown is ‘Invalid Magnetic Swipe’.
The MSR default setting is actually set in the firmware of the MSR and is not configured in the OS or in Micros.
The MSR Configuration Utility can reconfigure the MSR to only read Track 2 data.
See Zendesk problem ticket number 279237.
- The MSR Configuration Utility is stored in
- \\cadfs\Software\RestaurantsISO\Restaurant_Build_Devices\Windows 10\HP_ElitePOS_Win10_2020\POS_Utility
- Log into the POS workstation as local Administrator.
- Close OPS.
- Copy the MSR Configuration Utility to C:\POS_Utilty folder of the POS workstation.
- On the POS workstation, Navigate to C:\POS_Utilty\MSR Configuration Utility folder.
- Run sp98970.exe. Accept the UAC prompt and then click Next.
- Accept the License Agreement and click Next.
- Click Next to save to default location.
- The HP MagSwipe Configuration Utility will open.
- Click the Change Basic Reader Settings button.
- Select the Track Settings tab.
- Under the label Track Select enable the radio button for Track2 Only.
- Click the Send to MSR button. Message box indicating successful transmission to MSR will pop up. Click OK.
- Click Close button and then Exit button. Reboot.
- Utility can be launched anytime from C:\SWSetup\SP98970\MagSwipeCfgUtil.exe.